Taganrog was officially founded by Peter the Great on September 12, 1698. It is one of the first Russian cities, which was built according to a detailed plan. Vice-admiral Cornelis Cruys, who is regarded as the architect of the Russian Navy, became the first Head of Taganrog city in 1698-1702 and produced the first maps of Azov Sea and Don River. The project for planning and building works in the city was established in 1698, basing on the instructions provided by Peter the Great.
Now Taganrog is an important research, cultural and industrial center in Southern Russia. It has a vast network of educational establishments, ranging from Radio Engineering University and Teachers Training College to technical and vocational lyceums and high schools.