Korsakov was founded in 1853 as the first Russian military outpost on Sakhalin Island. The original name of this outpost was Muravievsky, but in 1869 it was renamed to Korsakovsky. It was ruled by Japan and called Otomari during the period from 1905 to 1945. In 1945 the Soviet army got it back and in 1946 the settlement was converted into the town and given its present name. It is located at the southern tip of the island on the cost of the Salmon Cove in the Anniva Bay, 42 km south of the island’s main city of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk. Korsakov is the largest port on Sakhalin and centre of the island’s hugely profitable fishing industry.