The town is the center of the Kostroma region located 372 km north-east of Moscow on the banks of the Volga. It has a port. You can get there from Moscow taking a train from the Yaroslavsky railroad station or in a car by the Yaroslavskoye shosse. You can get there by bus as well. The bus station is located near the metro station Shchyolkovskaya. Sights On the grounds of the New Town several monuments of wooden architecture have been gathered. The Church of the Transfiguration was erected in 1628 in the village of Spas-Vezhi, 20 km from Kostroma. This type of design and construction is the oldest in popular Russian architecture. The refinement of the church's proportions has reached its artistic perfection. The most important part of the building is a gallery with an open staircase. The church interior is very simple. It is not very high, with small windows, rough floor, benches along the walls, iconostasis, and two choirs. The piles upon which the church is mounted always remained uncovered as after the flood the church "floated" and the draught was the only means to dry it. North of the monastery the Ipatievskaya (St. Hypatius) settlement is located. There is an outdoor museum of wooden architecture there. The Cathedral of the Holy Virgin of the 16th century from the village of Kholm was erected by master-craftsmen Karp and Panila. Initially it was an octahedral cage with two side-cages topped by a tent-roof. But in the 18th century when the temple became dilapidated the cage was made lower and five domes were added to it. The vast gallery with ordinary benches makes the church cozy and home-like. Now the church houses an exposition of carved woodwork used for the house decoration. The plank fronton of a log house from the village of Fedotovo, Yurievetsky district, ornate with a carved work of Stepanov, is of a particular interest (1862). The cornices with figures of mermaids will no doubt attract the eye. At some distance from the church a wind-mill dated by the second part of the 19th century stands. It was brought from the Soligalichesky district. This industrial construction is marked by the author's desire to decorate it. The swing of the mill's wings echoes the pattern of the columns which prop the building up. The corps barn dated by the beginning of the 20th century has a traditional form: an ordinary cage with a pedestal on cantilevers before the exit. A wooden log house of the mid-19th century belonged to Yershov. It was brought from the village of Kortiuk. The house is typical of its time. A simple water sink, wonderful small windows with casings and shutters are laconic and beautiful. The interior of the log house has been restored: polaty (planking fixed between ceiling and stove used as a sleeping place), benches, stove with a wooden annex, assortment of wooden dishes. Numerous competitions of carved woodwork are held in Museum of wooden architecture. Sacred Objects St. Theodore's wonder-working icon is the main sacred image of Kostroma dating back to the period of 9th-11th centuries. The icon is of Byzantine style and it is unknown how it happened to get to Russia. It was discovered by Prince Yuri Dologoruky, the famous town founder, who established Kostroma. In 1272 the icon appeared in the suburbs of Kostroma. Prince Vasily Yaroslavovitch nicknamed Dough-Trough, younger brother of Alexander Nevsky, going hunting to the Zaprudnya river noticed that his hounds had gathered around a tree barking in a strained manner. He approached the tree, dismounted from the horse and saw an icon of the Holy Virgin with the child in her hands standing on the tree branches. He wanted to take it but some invisible force lifted the icon higher. Only the priests whom he had brought from the town were able to take the icon from the tree and bring it to Kostroma. From that moment there is a custom that only priests may lift the icon. On the place where the icon was found Prince Vasily founded a cloister. In Kostroma the icon was mounted in the Cathedral of St. Theodore Stratilates built by the commission of Yuri Dolgoruky. That is how the icon got its name of St. Theodore. The wooden cathedral was twice reduced to ashes and rebuilt. Both times the wonder-working icon remained inside and survived intact, even its colors did not turn paler. After the fire in the Church of St. Theodore Stratilates a stone cathedral was erected on the Volga by the order of Prince Vasily. The cathedral, dedicated to the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, became a new home for the icon. The day when the first ruler from the Romanov family came to the throne was celebrated as the day of St. Theodore's Wonder-Working Icon of the Holy Virgin. Copies of the icon were made for the Nativity Cathedral in the Moscow Kremlin by the order of the royal family. Copies of the icon spread all over Russia. Sometimes they became wonder-working. Four copies of the wonder-working icon were taken to the battlefield during the war of 1812 by four detachments of Kostroma's people's volunteer corps. Every year on August 29, on the day of Our Savior Not Made By Hands when the icon was found, a religious procession would go from the cathedral to the place where the icon appeared - the Zaprudnenskaya Church of Our Savior. On the fourth week of the Lent a procession with St. Theodore wonder-working icon lasting several days would leave from Kostroma for Galitch, then for Sudislavl throughout the villages along the Kinesma road. The icon united people, ennobled them, and gave hope. Russian tsars regarded visits to Kostroma as their obligation. Like all pilgrims, they kissed the icon making three deep bows. The last empress never went anywhere without her own St. Theodore's icon. To take it away from her would mean to take her life. In Ekaterinburg in the house of Ipatiev St. Theodore's icon of the Holy Virgin was found which had belonged to the empress. After the execution of the royal family the icon which had always been bright turned dark. In the thirties the Assumption Cathedral, the main temple of Kostroma, founded by Prince Vasily, where the icon had found its home, was blown up. In 1921 the icon was given to the restoration workshop of the academician I.Grabar. Over 40 years it stayed away from Kostroma. In 1964 Kostroma's archpriest managed to get permission to take the icon back. It was mounted in the Church of the Resurrection on the Debr, new cathedral of the town. On August 28, 1990 religious processions were renewed. People went through the town stopping for prayers. Alexander, the archbishop of Kostroma and Galitch, carried in his hands St. Theodore's wonder-working icon of the Holy Virgin. Thousands of people went out to the streets to meet the sacred image.