Dmitrov is a city in Russia, the administrative center of the Dmitrov District of Moscow Region, located 65 km north of Moscow. The city was founded in 1154 by Prince Yuri Dolgoruky in the swampy valley of the Yakhroma River, in place of Slavic settlements and named in honor of the Holy Great Martyr Demetrius — patron saint of Vsevolod — son of Yuri Dolgoruky — who was born in that year. The city has repeatedly changed its owners. In the XVII century, the royal settlements appeared in Dmitrov. In 1781, Dimitrov became the center of the county and among the many Russian cities got a coat of arms. During XVIII-XIX centuries Dmitrov remained a market town. By the end of the XVIII century, the new revival of the local trade began, which affected the development of Dmitrov. There were restored stone buildings, rebuilt old wooden churches, in 1784, the city received a regular development plan. The War of 1812 did not cause much damage to the city. November 26-27, 1941, the Nazi forces launched an attack on the town of Dmitrov, but on November 29, they were dislodged, and then a counteroffensive of the Red Army began. By December, 11 all the Dmitrov district was liberated from the invaders. In the 1960s-1980s, the city was built up with apartment buildings and acquired the basic features of a modern appearance.
One of the main attractions of Dmitrov is the Kremlin. In 1933-1934 as a result of archaeological research, there were found the remains of the wooden frame dwellings of XII century, smithy, raw, and shop on the site. The architectural centerpiece of the Kremlin is the Cathedral of the Assumption, built between 1509 and 1533, which was repeatedly reconstructed. In 1841 the cathedral got nine chapters and a pyramidal composition. The cathedral features a five-tier iconostasis of the late XVII century with icons of XV-XIX centuries. In 2005, Dimitrov won the all-Russian contest «The most well-organized city in Russia» in the category «Up to 100 thousand residents».