The Naval cathedral of Saint Nicholas in Kronstadt is the last and largest naval cathedrals, built during the Russian Empire Epoque. It was finished in 1913 and served as the primary church of the Russian Navy; later, in 1929, it became one of the first cathedrals that were closed within an anti-religious campaign. For the next ten years, the building was used for a movie theater, and in 1939 it was turned into the House of Officers before a museum of Navy opened instead in 1980.
Today it is a functional church; after the major restoration, it is now regarded as one of the most beautiful examples of neo-Byzantine architecture. It attracts religious people and recreational tourists; it is possible to ascend its belltower with local guides to enjoy more splendid views from the unusual angle.